- WR A.J. Green 12 receptions for 180 yards, TD vs. NYJ
2. RB DeAngelo Williams 26 carries for 143 yards, 2 TDs, 6 receptions for 28 yards vs. WAS
Becomes oldest RB (33) with 100 rushing yards and 2 rushing TDs in a game since Jerome Bettis in 2005.
3. RB Spencer Ware 11 carries for 70 yards, TD, 7 receptions for 129 yards vs. SD
4. RB C.J. Anderson 20 carries for 92 yards, TD, 4 receptions for 47 yards, TD vs. CAR
5. QB Drew Brees 28/42 for 423 yards, 4 TDs, Fmb, 131.3 passer rating vs. OAK
Worst of the Worst
5. Terrance Williams blows it, choosing to stay in the field of play rather than get out-of-bounds and stop the clock, essentially losing Dallas the game singlehandedly.
4. Chargers blow 24-3 lead to Chiefs.
3. Redskins put Josh Norman on the opposite side of Antonio Brown, let Brown rip them for 8 receptions for 126 yards, 2 TDs. There’s no logical explanation for this.
2. Cam headhunting. I didn’t get to watch all of the NFL opener but I saw all the hits by Friday. Once again, the NFL demonstrates a lack of empathy.
- Cardinals fail to beat Patriots without Brady AND Gronk AND at home
The Steelers looked sluggish early but Ben began to connect with his younger stars and the defense showed up, surrendering only three third down conversions in the contest. Meanwhile, DeAngelo Williams had one of the best performances of the week, once again defying time and making the argument that Pittsburgh doesn’t need LeVeon Bell’s irresponsibility, knee injuries and salary cap hit. The offensive line again made the debate that it deserves top-ten praise and Antonio Brown once again proved he can’t be ignored. At the end of the game, it was more of the same.
The Bengals come to Heinz Field on Sunday. After surrendering seven sacks on Sunday against the Jets and failing to get the run game going, Dalton was forced to air it out to Green, who proved to be Cincinnati’s savior and the week’s greatest performer, buying real estate on Revis Island. It’s likely Green will have another big day against Pittsburgh but if the Steelers are able to cancel everything else the Bengals have going on offense, it’s likely the Steelers offense will be able to outscore them. I’ll take Pittsburgh at home.
Game of the Week: Bengals @ Steelers
All of this to say, it’s my game of the week. I had the Panthers-Broncos game pegged for week one and I doubt this AFC North battle will disappoint.